Having a baby rocks your world. Not only are you experiencing a plethora of physical changes, you’re on an emotional and hormonal roller coaster ride to boot. Finding time and space to support your postpartum recovery can be challenging but we would encourage you to schedule in some time just for you with your health care team. Your postpartum healing can be supported by a number of health care professionals including your birth team, a pelvic health physiotherapist, chiropractor, registered massage therapist, naturopath, dietician, lactation consultant, counsellor or a postpartum doula. For the purposes of this blog post we will explore the benefits of including a registered massage therapist on your postpartum recovery team.
Registered massage therapy has so many healing benefits for your postpartum recovery. Here’s a few examples of how seeing an RMT can help you recover after birth.
- Facilitates Recovery: After delivery, the body requires time and care to heal. Postpartum massage promotes blood flow, reduces swelling, and eases muscle tension, aiding in a quicker recovery.
- Relieves Muscular Discomfort: Caring for a newborn can be physically demanding, leading to muscle soreness. Postpartum massage can help support your daily activities and tasks by alleviating muscle tension and soreness.
- Reducing Stress and Anxiety: The nurturing touch of a massage therapist provides emotional support and helps alleviate postpartum stress and anxiety, promoting a sense of calm and well-being.
- Balancing Hormones: Postpartum massage may assist in regulating hormonal fluctuations, helping new parents navigate the emotional ups and downs that often accompany the postpartum period.
- Aiding in Scar Healing: If you experienced a vaginal or perineal tear or if you had a belly birth, postpartum massage can aid in scar tissue healing and reduce discomfort.
- Promoting Relaxation and Better Sleep: Quality rest is crucial for postpartum recovery. Postpartum massage provides an opportunity for mothers to relax, potentially leading to improved sleep quality and overall well-being.
- Enhancing Emotional Well-being: Taking time for oneself through postpartum massage is a form of self-care, nurturing your emotional well-being and helping you feel more connected to yourself.
Massage therapy can be an excellent choice to help you recover from birth as there are so many physical, emotional and psychological benefits of massage. Please remember to consult with your primary health care team to ensure it’s an appropriate therapy for you at any stage.
Bump Physio & Co is a community of health care providers dedicated to changing the way pelvic health and obstetrical services are delivered. Our two clinics locations are Port Moody and Langley BC, where we treat beyond the Bump and welcome clients from all stages and phases of life. Our team has advanced training in Pelvic Health, Orthopedics, Obstetrics, Clinical Pilates, and Active Rehabilitation.
Please follow us along on our socials @bumpphysio.co keep updated on all that is going on and for more information about how the Bump Community can help YOU!