Clinical Director, Registered Physiotherapist & Clinical Pilates Instructor
B.Sc. (Kin), BFA, MPT, CAFCI
Hello, my name is Amy. I graduated from the Master of Physical Therapy program at UBC in 2012 after completing a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology and Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance at Simon Fraser University. Dance has been a big part of my life from a young age and sparked a lifelong interest in movement and the human body, ultimately leading me on the path to becoming a physiotherapist.
I discovered the value of pelvic floor physiotherapy after developing pubic symphysis pain during my second pregnancy and pelvic organ prolapse and stress incontinence postpartum. This firsthand experience motivated me to make a significant career shift and pursue my passion for this area of practice, as I wanted to learn how to help myself and others with similar issues.
Previously, I worked for many years with clients with neurological conditions such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, and Parkinson’s disease, helping to improve their function and quality of life. This experience has greatly influenced my treatment philosophy of addressing the whole body and the whole person, considering all aspects of their being using a biopsychosocial approach. I have a broad range of experience as a physiotherapist treating orthopedic and neurological conditions as well as dizziness/vertigo and facial palsies. I am especially passionate about working with clients with chronic/persistent pain conditions, including pelvic pain.
I love to learn and have taken numerous courses including:
• Pelvic Floor Level 1 (Herman & Wallace Pelvic Rehabilitation Institute)
• Level 2 and 3A: Female and Male Pelvic Pain (Pelvic Health Solutions)
• Pregnancy, Pelvic Girdle Pain & the Pelvic Floor
• The Abdominal Wall After Pregnancy & Diastasis Rectus Abdominus (Diane Lee)
• Exercise Reframed: Exercises for a Sensitive Nervous System
• Bowel and Bladder Treatment of the Client with Neurologic Dysfunction
• Levels 1 & 2 STOTT PILATES® Rehab Mat and Reformer
• Certified in Anatomical Acupuncture through Acupuncture Canada
• Basic Bobath Course: The Assessment and Treatment of Adults with Neurological Conditions
In my downtime, you’ll find me exploring the forest with my two boys, paddling a kayak or canoe, on my yoga mat, or dancing in my living room. I feel so fortunate to be a part of the Bump family and am excited to have a role in the personal and professional development of our team and finding innovative ways to improve client care and outcomes!